Always the last Sunday
Vikingland Band Festival : 2021 Parade Update
2021 Vikingland Band Festival parade is ON! Here's what will look the same and what will be different
ALEXANDRIA, MN (June 11, 2021) This year's Vikingland Band Festival is all about celebrating the resilient students and directors who have been able to emerge from the pandemic.
Most marching bands missed an entire season of training, recruiting and performing ... and details for the 2021 Festival have been uncertain
until recently when restrictions and health guidance began to ease.
Fortunately, the 2021 parade is confirmed to march down Broadway in Alexandria (Sunday, June 27, 1:30 PM), and we encourage fans to come and cheer for the bands!
The uncertainty surrounding the season meant that some details had to be modified. Here's a look at what you can expect to be the same or different at this year's event.
Photo: Mankato Area 77 Lancers, 2018 Vikingland Band Festival
SOME THINGS STAYED THE SAME
- The Vikingland Band Festival will showcase the best marching bands from across Minnesota. This year's lineup features 15 high school bands.
- The parade will still travel the full route on Broadway from 4th Avenue to 15th Avenue.
- Alexandria is ready to roll out the red carpet to welcome bands and visitors for one of the city's biggest events. Sponsors have once again shown strong support for the festival.
- Restaurants and service stations throughout the community will be open on parade day, and several concession vendors will be conveniently located along the route.
SOME THINGS WILL LOOK DIFFERENT
- Bands will perform randomly along the parade route rather than in designated "performance zones." This will give spectators more room to spread out and allow social distancing for those who choose.
- Bring your lawn chairs or blankets! Bleacher seats and the tent village will not be in place.
- Results will be posted online since there is no formal awards ceremony. This allows bands to remain in their own "bubble" and avoid the large crowd at the stadium.
- A full panel of judges will evaluate performances and provide educational feedback. However, ratings will be announced as "Superior / Excellent / Good" rather than placements and scores.
- The free souvenir tabloid program is being printed in a streamlined format. Look for the tabloids in plastic bins on each street corner and help yourself to a copy!
For ongoing updates, visit VikinglandBandFestival.com and follow the Vikingland Band Festival on Facebook.
Photo: Milaca H.S. Marching Band, 2017 Vikingland Band Festival