Always the last Sunday
Vikingland Band Festival : COVID 19 Update - March 26, 2020
Updates related to COVID-19 / 2020 Vikingland Band Festival
The Vikingland Band Festival is committed to showcasing the hard work and excellent performances of summer marching bands. Realizing there is uncertainty related to the coronavirus pandemic, the Festival committee began discussing contingency plans during our regular committee meeting on March 15.
In the coming weeks, we will follow directives from federal, state and local authorities, as well as input from competing band directors, to determine how to proceed.
In the meantime, here are some updates surrounding this year's Festival:
- Our guest Honor Band from Norway has canceled their trip to the USA for 2020. As announced during last year's Festival, the Nøtterøy Skolekorps was returning to the Vikingland Band Festival to celebrate the band's 70th Anniversary Jubilee. This great band gained many fans during its performance in Alexandria in 2010. Fortunately, the band hopes to participate in the future and our committee has assured the band they will be welcome at any time.
- The absence of the band from Norway affects the concert which was to be held on Thursday night on the Douglas County Courthouse Lawn. This special event was planned as a partnership with the Red Willow Arts Coalition, and for 2020 this Thursday night concert was planned in place of the Saturday night field event. (There was no plan to hold the Minnesota Drum Corps Premiere on Saturday night this year, but we do hope to hold that exciting event again in the future.) We are eager to have future opportunities to work with the fine RWAC organization.
- The 2020 lineup once again features an excellent roster of bands. Band directors were notified of their acceptance last week, and the lineup will be posted on our website by April 1.
- The 2020 Grand Marshals have been chosen, and once again represent fine people who have made contributions to youth, music and community. Watch for a special announcement of the selection in the coming weeks.
- On February 25, a devastating fire burned multiple buildings on Broadway near the beginning of the parade route. We know the street will look different to band members as they approach the judging platform. We acknowledge the impact the fire had on the community, and also extend thanks to the dedicated firefighters and first responders who prevented the fire from spreading further.
Most of all, we wish everyone the best of health and safety at this time. We will post any further updates on our Facebook page and our website.